This week’s entry in Monday Listicles is “10 Reasons I’m Great.” Honestly, I think this is something that not just moms, but women in general, often lose track of. Certainly there are plenty of conceited women out there–I have had my moments, I know–but all too often, we downplay our accomplishments and contributions. So what’s so great about me?
1) I wrote a full-length novel in high school. It’s never going to be published, and I’m fine with that–but I did it.
2) One of my friends read my M.A. thesis. For fun. Twice.
4) I do not faint at the sight of blood.*
5) In fact, if you sever your fingertip, I will not only locate it, but properly package it and drive you to the ER. While pregnant.
6) I’ve traveled to 49 of the 50 states (I have yet to get to Alaska.)
7) I’ve traveled to 5 of the 7 continents (South America and Antarctica, I’m coming for you. Eventually.)
8) I am really good at building fires.
9) I make good desserts. Not fancy, but good.
10) I’m an excellent wife and mother. (I’m not saying I’m better than you. I’m better than you for my family. And I’m similarly confident that you’re better for yours than I would be.)
*Does it undercut this post if I say that I do, however, shriek reflexively and stereotypically at the sight of a mouse?
Photo by .reid., via Flickr.